Monday, 4 January 2010

Back - Briefly

Hi All,

Sorry for the break in transmission. Life has been fairly busy up until new year and then Jack and I went away for a couple of nights on new year's eve. With Christmas, moving Jack's stuff up here from Jenni's and just trying to sort this house out after 5 months of not being here much and adding all Jack's stuff, life has been a little hectic.

Jack and I headed down towards the coast to stay at a place called Meeniyan as the weather was hot and we don't have air con here. We met some great people who had a young boy Jack's age and they played in the pool, built Lego, played cricket and generally had a good time. Jack and I went to the local go cart track for our first go at it and loved it. We had bbq's each evening with Jack's friend's family and the motel owner and watched a great storm roll in over us on NYE.

Yesterday on our way home we went to one of the best national parks in the world (slightly biased here!), Wilson's Promontory. I go there often with work and have done with friends often too but Jack had never been. He absolutely loved it, so even though it's an hour and a half away, we will be back there frequently.

Had a lazy day at home today in between sorting out Jack's room with different furniture. Still heaps to do but we are slowly getting there. Jack loved the break and loves his re-done room and keeps saying things like, "I wish Mum could see this" at various times. He doesn't really get too upset, just a little melancholy at times. We chat about it and he seems happy about the fact that Mum "can see it", she just can't talk to him about it, but he can talk to her.

We are heading down to see Jamie for his birthday on Thursday and heading off on our boys camping/caravaning holiday for a week or more probably on Sunday, 10th. Sorry if this post sounds a little like a diary. I will hopefully have more time for thought over the next few days. I still pinch myself every now and then when I think, hey, I'm doing this all alone. I know I have plenty of family and friend support, but you know what I mean. There's not Jenni there to tell about Jack's latest achievement or run past an idea about his sporting commitments or even just hat time he should go to bed. It's just me. It's what I always wanted, to have Jack and be a Dad, and I was doing ok but sometimes it hits you fight in the face, there's no back up now buddy! Anyway, we're doing ok at the moment.

Here's a few pics of our time away over NYE. I haven't forgotten the offers of help, financial and other, for Jack and things like his schooling. I just haven't had the headspace to think enough about it. There's the little thing of my pride too, being "the provider", that I have to work through as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Take care.

Love,

David.

7 comments:

  1. Oh that Wilson's Promontory looks glorious. I'd love to go there sometime. Those big round rocks look like...I don't know what they look like, but something kids would love to climb on. And something beautiful to take pictures of.

    Just one comment about the "provider" thing. My suggestion is meant as a memorial to Jenni. If you have another suggestion for a memorial, feel free to offer that as well.

    Have a great time camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to the prom for years - it is a beautiful place with so many places to explore. Jack will surprise you with how he copes - kids seem to just have a different concept to us. You are his dad - and you'll do fine too. Just take it all a day at a time.
    Enjoy your break

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this would help - I am an adult, yet this helped me when I lost my mom and my brother. Jo

    The Dragonfly


    Once, in a little pond, in the muddy water under the lily pads, there lived a little water beetle in a community of water
    beetles. They lived a simple and comfortable life in the pond with few disturbances and interruptions.

    Once in a while, sadness would come to the community when one of their fellow beetles would climb the stem of a lily pad and
    would never be seen again. They knew when this happened their friend was dead, gone forever.

    Then, one day, one little water beetle felt an irresistible urge to climb up that stem. However, he was determined that he would
    not leave forever. He would come back and tell his friends what he had found at the top.

    When he reached the top and climbed out of the water onto the surface of the lily pad, he was so tired, and the sun felt so warm, that he decided he must take a nap. As he slept, his body changed and when he woke up, he had turned into a beautiful blue-tailed dragonfly with broad wings and a slender body designed for flying.

    So, fly he did! And, as he soared he saw the beauty of a whole new world and a far superior way of life to what he had never known existed.

    Then he remembered his beetle friends and how they were thinking by now he was dead. He wanted to go back to tell them, and explain to them that he was now more alive than he had ever been before. His life had been fulfilled rather than ended.

    But, his new body would not go down into the water. He could not get back to tell his friends the good news. Then he understood that their time would come, when they, too, would know what he now knew. So, he raised his wings and flew off into his joyous new life!


    ~Author Unknown~

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are doing just fine David...so glad you have been having some rest and relaxation~! just take things slow and dont push yourself...you have alot to deal with and I know Jenni would be proud :*)

    Sue in Spokane xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love the pictures! I'm happy to see you two keeping busy and getting things sorted out.

    You are holding it together!

    Happy New Year,
    Danielle
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenni would be so happy and proud of you and Jack, you're doing a wonderful job on your own -- this is obvious.
    How nice that you and Jack got away and had some rest and relaxation and new friend time. Awesome!
    Lisa in south Florida

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there David. You are doing so great. I know what it feels like to feel so alone in your parenting. Sounds like you and Jack had a good New Years. Jenni would love that you spent that time away. I love the pictures by the way. Sending love and support xoxo Meg

    ReplyDelete