Friday, 13 February 2009

The Fires...

Hi everyone, I know some of you have been concerned about the bush fires over here in Australia so I thought I would just do a quick post to assure you that I am safe and well away from the danger areas, thankfully. However, it has been horrific, over 130 lives lost, homes are completely wiped out, in some cases children have lost their lives, the loss of wildlife, I have heard, is just tragic. Now, Australia is a huge country but nevertheless I still found it quite eerie that down in Victoria and all the way up to parts of New South Wales it is roaring with massive, fast moving fires and higher up in Queensland they are fighting floods, deep floods too! What is happening to our planet? Also, the other day here in Victoria, we had the warmest day on record and that was 46 degrees Fahrenheit! I mean it's just crazy stuff and quite scary I think! I have just heard this morning that the fires have started up again in a couple of areas due to very strong winds during the night last night so they have evacuated the high school and also moved most of the animals from the animal sanctuary over to Werribee Zoo and also the people of the town are being evacuated. I have also heard of a fire being started not all that far from me, being deliberately lit??? What is that all about? I just don't get it, who could possibly think it's fun to light fires that kill people and take away their homes, their memories, everything. On a positive note, the police have been very strong in saying that their fire investigation team is fantastic and that they have no doubt they will get whoever started these fires (another one at least was deliberately lit and it killed many people, I am not sure of exact number) these criminals will get the book thrown at them and the police have such high tech methods now of identifying who started fires that they are just positive they will indeed catch whomever did it. I also heard some news that was quite distressing and that was that there was looting going on after the fires, people that had abandoned their homes were having things stolen from them. Some people had to sleep in their garage/sheds as they had some quite expensive belongings in there and didn't want them stolen. Anyway it's all been quite distressing, very difficult to take in that it's actually happening as ferociously as what it is. You see the footage on TV and it just looks so frightening, I don't know how our firefighters get as near to the fire as what they do, they must be just so hot in those suits, they are so brave and just deserve so much respect for what they do, it would be a terribly hard job. The footage on TV looks like something out of a high action thriller or something, it is just so difficult to imagine that it's really happening. When they interview people that are at the scene or have been at the scene, they are just overwhelmed and shocked, it doesn't seem real to them either even though they were there. So, although I am safe and sound, there are many who are not, many who have lost lives, many who are in hospital covered in burns and many who have lost everything. Australians, as usual, have been digging deep to help out, I am always so proud of my fellow Aussie's because they are always so generous not only with the finances but with hard work and all sorts of other support too. Even Jacks school has sent home envelopes to collect money for the bushfire victims. I think it's fantastic. Jack went straight away to get his money box when we read the notice, he got out $10.00 in change which is quite a lot for him to give and he happily put it in the envelope and then started to tell me who else he thought might put some money in, it started with Dad and went through all our friends and family, I was very proud of him and of his school for instilling good values in him. Anyway, I have no doubt that everyone will help as much as they can and really that's all you can do, we all bond together when something like this happens which is good for morale. Anyway dear one's I will leave it at that and post again soon. Take good care.

26 comments:

  1. Whew, Jen, glad to hear that you are okay and not too close to the fires. They sound dreadful and sadly, we here in California have them much too often. Our planet is having a bit of trouble - hoping we figure it out soon!
    Take good care of yourself!
    Cheers,
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, Glad to hear that you are safe. We had a very scary time with the fires coming very close to our home. I posted about them over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the fires in Euronews and CNN here in Portugal and it's really scary. Horses and other animals burnned and people completely desperate; it's devastating. Australia is a beautiful country. A friend of mine is living in Adelaide since 2000; he married an australian girl, she's a nurse, and they have already about 3 or 4 children. I think he loves Australia very much.
    I was concerned about you because of the fires and thank you for posting today. It's beautiful to know that people are concerned and helping their fellow citizens and your Jack is a good boy, yes he is!
    Love to you all!
    :)
    Bete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jen,

    So glad you are and your loved ones are safe. It is amazing the things humans are capable of. Both the evil and the good. All I know for sure is I want to be a light in the darkness, to spread love, not hate.

    So thankful for the love you spread,
    :Debbie

    P.S. Give Jack and his huge heart a hug for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so happy to hear you are all safe. I am emailing you now sweet friend ...
    hugs
    shelbs

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been a horrific week here - family in Murrundindi surrounded by fire and to top it off one of Em's school friend's and his little sister perished. The aircrane pilots say its the worst they had seen. To have full towns just wiped off the map is unbelievable - especially those that were deliberately lit. Helping our mates is an Australian tradition and the response from every one from the biggest organisation to kids like Jack is heart warming.
    I may have sore eyes from the smoke still hanging around Dandenong - but I have may family and so may now don't :(
    Take care, K x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel so sorry for all those who have lost homes and loved ones in these terrible fires. It is so tragic and the stories are just devastating.I just got word from a friend in Adelaide that her cousin lost his home and he and his wife just escaped with nothing more than their pajamas! I am praying for those who've endured so much from this tragedy.

    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are not affected by it. That would be just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to be following such tragic news. Stay safe dear one

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for letting us know you and your family are okay, Jen. We are praying for all of you from the U.S. God bless and be well ~ Wendy McDonagh-Valentine xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you and your family are safe Jen. And glad you are doing ok.
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fires are devastating right now - how awful. Have not heard from you in a while - hope you are well.
    Love and blessing
    Nicky from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that you are o.k. We had been reading about it over here...what a terrible thing. Hope today is a good day for you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi sweet friend

    I've been out of town and busy busy lately so I haven't stopped by for awhile. I've had you on my mind though. I hope you're feeling good.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you are doing okay Jen - thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for you and thinking about you today. Hope you are alright and awaiting a newsy post.
    Ruthie from California

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen
    You ok? Just checking in on you dear. Hope you are feeling ok these days.
    Miss you.
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had heard about those fires and hoped you and your family were out of danger. Whew! Hope you're doing well today....it's been a long while since you last posted. Let me know if I can pray with you...I'd be happy to call you! :)
    Hug and a Smootch!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  19. dear Jen, just want you to know that we are still thinking about you and your boys each and everyday, hope you are alright. prayers and love, sending them your way, anne in va.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to hear that you are safe and distant from the fire. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost everything, especially those who have lost loved ones.

    What a blessing that your son is wiling to be so generous. I wonder where he got that tendency from...

    peace to you, Dear Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jen --- are you OK? We are worrying with this lapse in correspondence.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good to hear from you Jen. You remian in my thoughts often.
    Smiles and Love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete