Saturday, 30 August 2008

Just Checking In...


Hi all, I am indeed just checking in, this is just going to be a brief post (stop sniggering I really mean it this time) just an update on Puppy and the rest of the family. Pup is doing fantastically well - except in the potty dept. Not his strong point....yet...I am hopeful though as it's only been one week. I think I may have expected a little too much for a start and just need to slow up a bit. We are going to go to using newspaper at the backdoor. Once he gets that down pat (pardon the pun) then I will make the paper smaller and smaller and then put it outside and hopefully that'll do the trick. So far tonight all is well. He just wasn't connecting the dots as far as when he actually did a wee outside, I would praise him heaps and give him a little liver treat, then the next time he'd do it inside, I just wiped it up without any comment but he would be dancing around me as though he'd done something wonderful. So all he was getting from the praise outside was that doing wee is so good of him it doesn't matter where as long as he does it. You see what I mean, bit of a problem. So, paper, big pats, liver treat, then on the floor, no pats, no liver treat, it might sink in. The trouble was also that he would go outside for a little play as well, so it wasn't just for potty, bit confused is my little fella. Apart from that he is doing really well. He comes in the car with me each afternoon to pick up Jack from school. Because we park the car quite a way from school, we walk through the bush, across the oval and up to Jack's classroom. He absolutely adores children. Twenty one kids came running over to him all wanting a pat and he stood firm and lapped it up, could not get enough. All he has to do is see that red and navy blue uniform and he's off (lucky I have him on a long leash) he races after any child in those colors, it's really cute because his long ears sort of blow back and bounce up and down as he races for all he's worth, he's so tiny it's really sweet to see. He does my heart good. Hard work, but worth it and he has certainly kept my mind off my problems which has got to be a good thing doncha think??? Oh dear, I really wanted this to be a short and sweet post but I have so much I want to tell you all about. Jack is getting picked on at school by his teacher would you believe, it's awful and I don't quite know what to do about it yet. I'll tell you all about it next post - although, oh, I will ruin the surprise but what the heck, I have been working on my post about spirituality and what gets me through, my beliefs etc, it's coming together so I think I will be ready to publish it soon. I know Jill from Reconstruct This wanted me to do a post like that but I have been asked by quite a few different people so I thought I'd give it a go. Anyway, as you can see I really have a lot to chat about but for today it's about puppy, I think we have settled on a name. We are close anyway it's down to Charlie (Charles) or Spencer (Spence) these are supposed to be a little tongue in cheek, old school, English names so, no, I haven't gone completely round the twist.....yet....!!! Well, then there's Hamish which I think is more Scottish but seriously, I think he is Charlie. I'll let you know for sure in the next day or so but for now Charlie is good. Love to you all, hope everyone is doing well.

15 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a photo of the pup. I can't believe Jack's teacher is being a bully, what is up with that?!

    Nice to hear you strong and happy.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some teachers! Maybe you can have him moved; it is so detrimental to their mental well being to have someone in authority doing that to them. He has enough to deal with! Poor kid. I can't wait to see puppy pics too. I'm so glad you are having fun with the pup. Our pups both took forever to train. I really couldn't totally trust either one until around the 1 year mark. It does take time with some of them. Try and concentrate on the successes and then the accidents won't seem so monumental. LOL! Lisa L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? No puppy pics? Oh well, guess I can wait a bit longer, lol.

    So sorry to hear about the teacher! I hope you can get that resolved, and soon. People like that have NO business teaching. Seriously, she should be fired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see things are working out well with puppy. Sounds like he is doing great things for you!! Our older dog is named Charley. We've got a Charley and a Boo!

    Sorry things are so crummy with Jack's teacher. Who the heck can understand that!??

    Cindy from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's time you became a warrior at the school for Jack's sake. Play the darn cancer card and demand that his well being not be jeopardized, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen,
    Ugh, pulling at my heart strings about Jack, wish I could have a chat with his teacher ARGGG! Charlie? Love it, perfect.
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie is a perfect name!
    Not so good about Jack though - and probably a lot to do with why he's been unsettled. Needs to be sorted asap. Talk soon
    love
    K xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful little puppy and so glad you're enjoying him!! He'll soon be trained, no doubt. I know Jack knows you're on his side and that his teacher is off base. Hope he'll soon be done with her but the important thing is he knows it's not his fault. Good for you, Jen, for taking note of what's going on and going to bat for him. We can't get rid of all the bad teachers in the world but we can teach our kids to hold onto their self-respect when they have to deal with difficult people. May he hold his head high. Big hugs to you and Jack and the puppy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the name Charlie - cute and spunky! What the heck is going on with Jack's teacher?? That is absurd and I'm sorry you guys have to deal with that. It is a good lesson about how even adults don't behave well, but really, that kiddo's had enough lessons for now, I think. Perhaps you can move him before he gets too settled. Either that or I'd talk to the headmaster/principal because if she's doing it to Jack, probably there are other kids affected as well.
    Take good care, I'm happy you and Jack have Charlie!
    Cheers,
    Cate in Cal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen,
    Crate train that pup! When out of the crate for play in the house keep him on a leash and close to you. With a new pup, you are going to have lo learn his signals for "I have to go, right now!"
    I tell you, it is sooooo important to catch him in the act and then run him outside saying, NO, NO, No as you run, until you plop him outside and start saying YES,YES,YES!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to hear you so happy. Puppies will do that! I have four of my own and they keep me smiling (and sometimes cursing under my breath)all the time!
    I cannot believe Jack's teacher is the one causing him problems. But believe me, I've been there with my son in 2nd grade (he was 8 years old). I don't know your situation (yet), but looking back now I should have taken him out of the class and had him put with another teacher. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, but I hope you are able to find a solution to the problem.
    Glad you are feeling well and having some happiness and light in your life right now. You certainly needed it, huh?
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the update, sweetie. Tell that puppy we said to get the potty procedure straight. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Susie, I am longing to show off photos of pup but my stupid USB lead is deciding not to work so I can't upload them!

    ONE YEAR MARK AAHHHHHHH!!!! That's me screaming Lisa, omg I don't know if I have it in me to last that long...oh well lucky he's cute that's all I can say about that. xx

    I know Debbie, it's disgraceful isn't it, you'd think she'd cut him some slack with everything he's dealing with at home but nope she just needs a good kick in the you know what and I tell ya what if she doesn't lift her game, I'll be the one to give it to her. I have more than enough to deal with in my life that to put up with her petty crap - sorry but it makes me furious. Hugs honey xxx

    How cute Cindy! Great minds think alike huh???

    I love your comment Witchypoo, so funny (play the darn cancer card)still giggling when I type it. You know what, I think I just might do that. I am definitely going to do some butt kicking and let's see if I need to play that card I will, okay? Hugs Jxxx

    Thanks Rose, she's a witch isn't she?

    Wouldn't surprise me at all Karen, he has been unsettled and it's hard enough sending him to school as it it you know without him not wanting to go because his teacher is unfair. The sad part is he blames himself. I have told him that he is not to blame in any way, shape or form and that she is very, very wrong for treating him that way and I think he understands now but it broke my heart. xx

    Wise, wise Cathy, that is so very true, true all through life when you really think about it so I guess we choose to look at it as an opportunity to learn how to deal with people and situations like this because they do arise in our lifetime, quite often sometimes. Jack may be lucky to be learning young how to cope. Hugs darling xxx

    Thanks Cate, we're happy we have Charlie too. Hugs xx

    Anonymous he is learning the little sweetheart, it's just that we have steep stairs out our backdoor and he's too little to climb down them...

    Dear Kathy, did I read you right, did you actually say you have four puppies??? or did you mean four dogs (which is work enough)??? Okay, I don't know how you do it, one is enough for me right now, although I have been wondering whether I should get him a companion? Hugs xx PS: As for the light and happiness - you are right, I surely did need some that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jen

    I like the name Charlie...sounds like a good one for him.

    BTW...I passed along an award to you today.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jen,
    I'd be interested to know who made the colourful drawing at the top of this blog entry. And I've seen various versions of your first name - are you prepared to reveal it to your friends? :)
    Cheers,
    Ed.

    ReplyDelete