Wednesday, 23 July 2008

Desiderata...

I have shared this with you once before dear readers, back in October last year actually, however, I love it so much and I get so much out of it whenever I re-read it, that I thought maybe you guys would too and decided to put it up again. It's a reminder to me of what's truly important. Here it is, enjoy...

Desiderata -

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

- by Max Ehrmann.

Lovely isn't it? By the way, I am back to trying to respond to your supportive comments, I know, I promised I would do it but I guess that is not always going to happen, just because I wish it were so does not mean it will be but I can try and when time permits, then, I will do my best. Thank you for sticking by me even though months and months can go by without a word from me in response. I am heartily ashamed of that and I am certainly trying to lift my game. Take care darlings, think on that Desiderata and have a peaceful, thoughtful day. xx

11 comments:

  1. i love desiderata and first read it when i was a child. beautiful post.
    check your email...
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jen! That is absolutely lovely! Do you mind if I use it? It's too wonderful not to share.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah beautiful. I need to read this daily. I've been too caught up in the trivial stuff lately.

    And don't feel guilty about not responding to everyone. I think I can speak for a few others here when I say that we don't expect you to follow up on every comment. Often we just leave little notes to let you know you are being heard and thought of, dearest.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. those of us who dont know but love you are just happy that you are happy and would probably prefer more posts about you enjoying yourself than replies! thanks for sharing this beauty and good luck tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this for years and years. Thank you! It truly is beautiful and makes me feel peaceful just to read it. And I second the above! No need to respond individually, we all love to read whatever you write and to know how you are. Prayers and hugs for tomorrow so that whatever you need for your good health will come to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This lives on my noticeboard with my favourite Mother Teresa writings. I'll send a copy of my favourite through to you (might even put it on my blog!). I can never read it too often
    lvoe and hugs
    K xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn,

    That is beautiful and good advice on all accounts.......

    annie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you, wishing you the best of luck tomorrow, and sending you many positive vibes from Toronto, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Desiderata is one of my favorites and I haven't read it in years!!! Something I desperately needed today. Dear Jen don't worry about commenting to each of us - we all know we are in your heart and that is the best support we can give. And as we all know, some days are better than others and do the most that you have with your day to day moments. Good Luck tomorrow.
    Nicky from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  10. you write/respond to others only when you want.
    we are here FOR you.
    Just getting to read your words here is a gift.
    i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you as tomorrow is your PET scan....Don't worry about responding to each and every comment. Just by you being here and journaling to all of us, is a gift in itself!! Spend your time doing whatever you love to do....thinking of you, Jack, & Jamie.

    ReplyDelete