Tuesday, 10 June 2008

Something to Share...










I realize I am a little late showing these pics of these beautiful Autumn trees but I took these photos of the glorious Autumn colors of the trees in my backyard quite a while ago, it was actually during the time when I was in a lot of pain and feeling quite down. One morning I looked out my kitchen windows and the beauty of the trees changing color took my breath away and inspired me to grab my camera, (really to hobble very slowly to where I keep my camera and hobble very slowly back) and start snapping away. I felt so grateful that day to have noticed how beautiful they were, and although I wasn't really in the mood for feeling grateful these gorgeous leaves kind of broke through my very negative mood for a moment or two and had me focusing on the beauty of nature which in turn made me remember the magic of life with all it's ups and downs and twists and turns and happy moments and very sad moments. I thought about the way a tiny seed would be dropped by a bird or by the wind and it would slowly germinate and grow to become a magnificent tree. A tree you can put a homemade swing in, a tree where you might be lucky enough to find birds nesting in it way high up in the branches. An oxygen giving, living, amazing thing. You can know the seasons by looking at this tree, it is lush and rich green in Summer, in Autumn it is a mass of colorful leaves, in Winter it is completely nude but it's bare branches are like a sculpture, in spring it is the most delightful bright lime green covered with tiny leaves and buds or on some trees such a beautiful, lacy blossom. Can you tell I love my trees, I really do, I don't think I could live happily in a home that wasn't surrounded by big, beautiful trees, they bring me comfort somehow when I think of the magic of how they grow from a tiny seed. I guess that is a strange thing to say but perhaps you understand what I mean.

As a child I was lucky enough to have a homemade swing made of rope and a big, wide timber seat in a massive Oak Tree. I would swing in that tree for hours. I felt like I was flying, I was 4 years old when I first really spent so much time swinging up into the branches. It was just the perfect tree for swinging in as the branches were a canopy but up so high that you could swing high and unimpeded by the them. I would lean right back as I got high enough to stop pumping my legs and I would just lay there staring up into the branches and leaves and bits of sky and cloud, they were the most beautiful moments. One of the first things I did at this house (because it has so many gorgeous trees) was ask David (Jacks daddy which you already probably know that by now but just in case) to make a swing in one of the big trees. I asked him to make it suitable for Jack to use but also big and strong enough for me to swing in too. Well he made me one, it's not quite as good as the one I had as a child because he made the seat a bit too small, I believe you need a good wide seat on a swing (and no it's not just because my butt is so much bigger now either thanks very much lol!!). Anyway it is good enough and I do use it and so does Jack. He loves winding it up tight and then letting go and spinning, spinning, until it stops and then he does it again and again and again......and so on!

Anyway enough about trees and swings but I was just inspired to write about this for some reason, I guess I am all fed up with cancer for the moment but I will mention that I have chemo tomorrow so any prayers and good wishes would be very much appreciated. Thank you my friends, take care and thank you so much to those of you who went to the new site that I author on now and leaving me a comment, I was so proud to see my friends come over there to support me. Take care special people, of yourselves and each other. (And thanks for letting me waffle on about trees.)

12 comments:

  1. Your trees are stunning! I love my trees also. We were lucky as children to have friends that had those homemade swings so I'm with you on those memories. I've only been reading your blog for a short time and you've really touched me. My father has cancer, he's not in treatment right now because his cancer is what they term "manageable" and right now it's managing. I remember when he did go in for his chemo we would all gather around him right before and keep his spirits up. Keep thinking about that beautiful childhood memory of pumping your legs on that swing and laying there staring up into the branches and leaves and bits of sky and cloud...thank you so much for the post, it brought back memories I had forgotten. My prayers are with you. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a busy lady - glad the antibiotics are working and helping with the pain.
    Always in my prayers.
    Nicky from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beauty.. and I love knowing that while here trees are turning from spring into summer, where you are, they are doing their autumn/winter thing. It really makes that circle of life so clear. I wish you well tomorrow, dear Jen. I'll be popping to the new blog soon. Well done on starting your work there. You are a marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's some really lovely writing in this post. Your love for the trees truly comes through. (I'm a tree-lover, too.) May the thoughts of trees and life's magic moments help get you through chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos Jen ~ I am so glad that you are feeling well.
    Thinking of you ~ love and hugs Tabitha XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love trees too - I couldn't live where I didn't look out on them (kids think I'm nuts when I talk to the birds hanging out there) Mine don't change colour though - so I have to take photos of other peoples. This area has so many. Tree swings are the best - you can imagine you are almost anywhere.
    Be thinking of you tomorrow
    Love and prayers
    K xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are beautiful and i hear every word you said. thanks so much for showing us a little bit of australian treelife. i reckon i'll never visit there, although i'd love to. but in case i don't, i thoroughly enjoy seeing pictures from a "native" viewpoint and not some touristy coffeet able book. gives it a home factor. i love seeing people's homes and streets and neighborhoods in other countries, just to see how they live. we all have interesting societies and ways of doing things. the way the streets are set up, the mailboxes or anything like that...you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are beautiful and i hear every word you said. thanks so much for showing us a little bit of australian treelife. i reckon i'll never visit there, although i'd love to. but in case i don't, i thoroughly enjoy seeing pictures from a "native" viewpoint and not some touristy coffeet able book. gives it a home factor. i love seeing people's homes and streets and neighborhoods in other countries, just to see how they live. we all have interesting societies and ways of doing things. the way the streets are set up, the mailboxes or anything like that...you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how beautiful, Jenni, and how wonderful of you to notice! Trees are so full of life force! It's just turned summer here in Boston—the leaves are all out, bright shiny green and it's 95 degrees! HOT!! :)
    Really good wishes for tomorrow! You know we are all sending love and good energy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen,
    Beautiful trees - I grew up with the same appreciation and that's one of the reasons that I love Marin County - so lush and pretty (we have lots of Redwood which are amazing but I seem to be drawn to the Maples myself!).

    Just wanted to wish you good luck w/chemo tomorrow (already today for you) and of course, always.

    Best,
    Cate in Cal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Jenni,
    Beautiful trees!
    I love trees too. We have a few in our little yard around the house... We have 4 pine trees, a lemon tree, a laurel, and some aloes.
    You're always in my prayers!
    Sending love,
    Bete

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen - Such beautiful trees. It is surreal that just as we're embracing summer here, you're in the middle of fall. It feels significant somehow, this lesson that everything, all seasons, occur simultaneously...

    Sending love your way,

    xo J

    ReplyDelete