Saturday, 3 May 2008

Pangea Day...


Hi guys Pangea Day is a wonderful concept I believe, it is basically a day of coming together all over the entire world to watch the same powerful and moving short films. I just finished watching a video online via TED.com and I watched a woman named Jehane Noujaim. She touched me deeply with what she was explaining. She makes films and photographs. Often showing things some people would rather pretend didn't exist. Her point is that without us all knowing and understanding what our fellow humans are thinking and going through then we can never understand enough to try and have a better world to live in. I agree. We need to try to understand things from other perspectives and other cultures. The most powerful way she has found to do this is through the power of film, television and the internet. She believes that if we were all able to tell our stories, watch other peoples stories we could learn so much about each other and reach so many people. I agree. She tells her story and she tells of the reaction of her first photo exhibit, people took down her 'ugly' photos and she was left with only three photos on her photo board and they were the only 'pretty' ones. No-one wanted to see or to know about anything that wasn't pretty and nice. Well the world is not always pretty and nice and if we don't recognize that then we have not a chance in hell of fixing anything do we? So she realized she was onto something pretty powerful if she could cause such a reaction at 18 years of age. She has made the most of this realization ever since and done some absolutely remarkable interviews, shot some amazing photographs (although not pretty), some really powerful stuff. Anyway my mission here is to get all of you- my supporters and friends to watch on Pangea Day, you can watch online and I'm going to give you the link in a second and also the link to watch Jehane do her talk on TED as I think you will love it. Pangea Day is becoming a magnificent, powerful event now with big names getting involved such as Robin Williams, Cameron Diaz, I can't think of all the others just now but there are many involved on a world wide scale. So if you haven't already heard about it go to the website this is the link for Pangea Day and also you will see on the right hand side a row of videos you can watch, one of them is Jehane Noujain so just click on her and you will be able to watch her powerful talk. Trust me you will be totally absorbed in it, I was and I know that you won't regret taking a look.

Some people are even organizing get togethers for a Pangea Day celebration where they all watch together, this is happening on a world scale. I suppose I should give you the dates and times etc, although they are on the website, in America it is on the 10th May and in Australia it is the 11th May at 4pm. When you go to the website you can click on the country and then state where you live and it will give you the time to watch. Anyway take a look, do yourselves a favor and enjoy seeing something truly empowering unveil. Take care of yourselves and each other.

4 comments:

  1. "Often showing things some people would rather pretend didn't exist. Her point is that without us all knowing and understanding what our fellow humans are thinking and going through then we can never understand enough to try and have a better world to live in."

    This is the main reason I started blogging last year. I wanted a "diary" of sorts for my children. A place they could read about my thoughts and feelings from my point of view. How I percieved situations, others actions, emotions, if you will. I did it so if anything were to happen to me, they could be just a little closer to me without me being present. I always wanted to know the thoughts and emotions behind others actions of ideas. I hope my kids find it helpful, whether I am still here or not. Their father is not in their lives so I want them to know the day to day life that I know will be a distant memory as the years go by, from their point of view. Thank you for sharing this. Sending lots of love and healing to you sweet;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Jen. I had never heard of it before your post, but am aware of what it is now!!!
    Too often people bury their heads in the sand and pretend that bad things don't happen ~ when we all know they do ~ and as you said in your post, how can we ever expect to change anything or make things better ~ if we keep pretending they aren't happening!!!
    Love to you today and always,
    Take care special lady!!!
    hugs
    Tabitha XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really learned something today! Thank you for the info about Pangea Day. You and your dear boy are often in my thoughts since I first visited. Blessings, Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been thinking about you all day and wondering about the zoo...

    ReplyDelete