Sunday, 14 October 2007

So True...

I have remembered that when I started this blog, I had a wish to be supportive of mothers, mainly, whether they be stay at home mums or work outside as well as inside the home mums, or mums that work from home! There are so many different variations of us these days. Obviously I cannot focus on every type at once but I can, hopefully, focus on each type at different times. Anyway, I remember clearly this desire and as I look back over my blog I realise that I have not been doing this near as much as I would like too so I am going to remedy that immediately with the following excerpt which I found delightful, informative and in some way a sort of calm descended upon me. I think because of the simplicity with which it is delivered and the simplicity of what it instructs. It just felt/feels right.

I came across this as I entertain thoughts of home schooling my youngest son Jack. There are so many fantastic resources out there, even in Australia, though not near as many as in America. There are some wonderfully informative sites with information on results of homeschooling often from the homeschooled pupils themselves whom are now all grown up and can speak from the point of view of the student. So many have done better than public schooled students. If you are at all interested in this topic (home schooling) just do a google search and you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of information available to you. Anyway here is the excerpt which I really believe to be true:-

Recipe for Preschool Peace

Starting as early in your parenting life as possible, mix:

  • One large dollop of the works of John Holt, especially How Children Learn, Learning All the Time, and Teach Your Own
  • Two heaped cups of Better Late Than Early by Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore
  • A splash of Preschool Homeschooling by Beverly Krueger

Allow this mixture to rest in your brain for a while, then add (as your child becomes old enough to do these things):

  • Lazy afternoons at the park
  • Regular visits to the public library
  • Trips to the zoo and children’s museum
  • Work in the garden (especially making mud pies)
  • Large empty appliance boxes and markers
  • Finger paints
  • Long sessions of you reading aloud to your children

Relax and enjoy!

Special note: Don’t rush through this recipe - take your time, because soon enough your little one will be a “big kid”, and both of you will be ready to take on a more complicated “recipe”.

© 2006 Barbara Frank/Cardamum Publishers
Reproduced by Permission

Barbara Frank is the mother of four homeschooled-from-birth children ages 13-22, a freelance writer/editor, and the author of “Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers” and the new eBook, “The Imperfect Homeschooler’s Guide to Homeschooling.” To visit her Web site, “The Imperfect Homeschooler,” go to www.cardamumpublishers.com.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Jennifer! I hope you'll be able to come to a "peaceful" decision about homeschooling. It's a huge decision, and a very important one! If the schools in Australia are anything like the ones here in the US, your decision will be just a bit easier!! Feel free to stop by anytime! I love your blog and have it in my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,

    Sorry I have been slack and not commented on your blog, you do inspire me when I read your blog.
    Gee hasn't jack shot up he is climbing up that beanstalk. I hope things go better for him at school poor little thing.
    I have added a link on my blog so other people can be inspired by yourself.
    Blog Soon
    Deb xxxx

    ReplyDelete